Thursday, May 19, 2011

I Am As ___ As A ___

In my advanced composition class, my teacher asked of us to write out thoughts beginning with I am as ___ as a ___.  I did not know what I wanted to write so I just picked something random.  I usually begin all of my papers that way.  It gives me a start and I expand on it sentences by sentence word for word.  My thoughts jump around to much to actually know what I want to write about before hand.  It is more of a process.   

I am as peaceful as a stream that ventures out vigorously but quietly.  With every rock that is thrown at it, the current picks it up along, only adding to its beauty, calm and collect.  Through out the many types of scenery it passes, many breathe taking, few memorable, each contributing a different outlook.  As it weaves it also fluctuates but never bends out of shape, only explore caressing the curves.  Many explore, others destroy and pollute, but the few, the ones that take the effort to preserve, are the ones that appreciate the limited abundances.  As it reaches over mountain tops, the stream is at its highest peak but not its last.  Just as the journey may be long and tiresome and even lonely, it will not be for long.  At the end, many streams alike meet and join each other for a bigger voyage in the oceans open arms.  Together their past will create a future.

As I finished my thoughts with in the given time period I tried to expand my thoughts on friendship, the experiences and lessons I have learned, human interaction and also schooling.  Environmental factors came in to play due to the class I am taking this year and also the chapter we were just in, which is about water.

I loved how this whole paper did not have to be straight forward with what we actually wanted to say or felt, it could be in a form of a simile and metaphors.  I think that is a better way of explaining something instead of just telling the person how u feel, explanations can go further.  When you really want to give an explanation it is best to do so with a story line.

If I were to change what I have written to better my piece, I would say I would expand more and go deeper in to descriptions.  I am interested in seeing what readers got out of my thoughts before I briefly explained what it was about.  I think my best writing has come from this class because we get to express our feeling freely. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm really interested in your note about the coupled inspiration. Not only did you have the given writing prompt, but you were inspired by what you're reading as well. Consider how, generally speaking, a multitude of stimuli inspire our thoughts, our opinions, and our writing.

    I like what you're doing - and, even more so, I like that you're thinking about what you're doing. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete