Thursday, May 5, 2011

President Obama's Address

My teacher assigned extra credit if we would write about President Obama's address to the nation that Osama bin Laden has been killed.  Instead of just writing a traditional paper I decided to share my thoughts on the address in my blog.



What I found most admiring about this speech was his ability to instill pride in listeners and readers, myself alike, as if we were holding the gun that did the job.  His speech skills are impeccable.  Contrary to what most Obama “haters” out there, and if you are in my advanced composition class and reading this, then yes I mean a number of you, he did not only give credit to himself for the assassination. 

He gave credit where it was due, “thanks to the tireless and heroic work of our military and our counter terrorism professionals” and “a small team of Americans carried out the operation with extraordinary courage and capability.”  Not once did he say he did it all.  Yes, indeed he used “I” in his speech, “I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action, and authorized an operation to get Osama bin Laden,” but is it not President Obama’s job to do so?  Detractors need to stop and listen to what he said, and stop nit-picking at every little word.  Instead, really listen to what he has to say.  Unfortunately politics have to come in to play and attempt to ruin such a historical mark in history.

Osama bin Laden is dead.  Maybe that was not clear enough for the conspirators on the radio talk shows or even your next door neighbor.  I also support the decision of the government for not releasing pictures or videos.  Such cruelty does not need be seen by ten year old children.  If you are not taking action to make a change then do not complain, we do not need a whiney, complaining nation, we need “one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

I am proud to be an American and feel an even stronger sense of safety.  “Thanks for the men who carried out this operation, for they exemplify the professionalism, patriotism, and unparalleled courage of those who serve our country.”

1 comment:

  1. I personally think that Barack Obama is a great guy that can make an even better speech. People may disagree with his policies or say that "he's doing nothing", but we can all agree he makes great speeches!

    ReplyDelete